by Carole Latimer
To order the book, call
Wilderness Press at
This meal is a real treat on the trail and with ingredients that won’t spoil, you can enjoy this meal almost any night on a long backpack. The key to this recipe is the prep ahead of time. Pack and prepare all ingredients before you leave home. That way, you can easily prepare this meal on the trail in no time.
Prep and cook time: 40 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
1. Slice and dehydrate all vegetables and place in sealed Ziploc bag.
2. Puree cashews in blender or Cuisinart. You want cashews to be a fine powder.
3. Pack spices and salt separately.
1. Pour warm water over vegetables to rehydrate. This make take 30 – 60 mins depending on altitude.
2. Bring large pot of water to a boil for pasta. Water should cover all pasta. Add salt to water.
3. Slice garlic and heat rehydrated vegetables in pot or fry pan. Add sun dried tomatoes.
4. Boil 1 cup water for pasta sauce. Add cashew powder and spices. Stir so sauce won't burn on bottom. Remove from heat once creamy.
5. Once pasta is al dente, drain all water and add vegetables. Stir well, then add sauce. Stir again and serve hot.
The soul blossoms when you leave behind the expectations of everyday life, and meet the challenge of the outdoors with the support and enthusiasm of others.